Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Reading Ages

While talking to a fellow twitter today katrina who is a Australian Children's Author and I asked her she had thought about writing for other ages apart from small children. This chat then turned into what books as a Adult we read.

Both of us discovered we love reading books that go across a wide range of ages, even though I'm 40 years old I still love reading the occasionally YA (Young Adult) books like Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden, The Three Investigators, The Hardy Boys, as well as YA books written by Rebecca Sparrow Nick Earls kate Hunter

Why do I like reading YA books for me I love escaping back into my childhood every now & then plus if the book is by my favourite author then I'll read everything they write no matter what age they write for.

As a teenager I remember the local librarian use to let me start reading from the adult section of the library and some of the Adult books I started reading were Charlies Angels series, Can Stephine Come Out To Play, Who Killed Mr Griffin? as well as being able to finally get my hands on true crime books which I still love even these days.

Tell me what kind of books you love reading as a adult and why?

6 comments:

  1. I read a lot of young adult books. Generally the writing is of great quality, partly because YA books still need to get through the 'gate keepers' of children's literature (teachers and librarians)as well as appeal to the target audience of discerning young people. Also, like you, I like reliving parts of my youth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing that. Next time I'm at the library going to check out some of your books to read.

    Especially My Dad Think's His Funny as a good percentage of books written are about Mothers more need to be written about Fathers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I'm river. I came here via I'll think of a title later. I read the occasional YA book, but not as many as I used to and I've never read Trixie Belden or the Hardy Boys. They're just not my thing. My preference these days is for murder mysteries, (in particular the forensic ones written by Kathy Reichs). I'm currently reading Just One Look by Harlan Coben, but I also enjoy the comedy writings of Charlotte hughes and Janet Evanovich, also some of the romance stories by Nora Roberts. Other favourite authors include James Lee Burke; Carl Hiaasen; Karin Slaughter; Lee Weeks; many more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW we seem to like some of the same writers as well as genre as I love murder mysteries as well. I've read all Janet Evanovich's books, read some Nora Roberts books.

    Thanks for stopping by & adding your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I quite like a lot of the YA stuff too - especially Aussie writers like Rebecca Sparrow and Nick Earls. I like to familiarise myself with books the kids are reading too. As a child I loved the Enid Blyton books, most of them. Am disappointed the kids aren't that into them ...although they crack up at names like Dick and Fanny! I have a few comfort books I go back to occasionally - Jane Austin is a fave, as is Nicky Pellegrino and Marion Keyes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haven't read any Marion Keyes books yet, have seen people read her books so might give her a whirl next time I get myself to the library.

    ReplyDelete